Originally a cell of St Peter's Benedictine Abbey in Gloucester, the church was ceded in 1157 to the Diocese of York and exchanged with the crown in 1547. The Norman south aisle probably represents the original nave. The church was all but abandoned among its fields in 1852 and has been little altered since. It has medieval paintings of the Doom on the north wall dating to the early 15th century. They were whitewashed over in the English Reformation and conserved by Eve Baker in 1969. Scenes depicted include the Acts of Mercy and the Seven Deadly Sins.
St Nicholas is unheated with no artificial lighting but there are wonderful summer and candlelit Christmas services.
Any enquiries can be dealt with by the church warden, Sir Peter Davis, email@example.com
The church of the Holy Ascension stands midway between the two villages, was built in 1852 and is in the Pointed style. It comprises nave, aisle and chancel and has several handsome painted windows.
In 2011, the church was re-ordered to create a modern church centre for the seven villages and parishes within Evenlode Vale. The church now benefits from new heating, a WC, kitchen and storage. The vestry has been converted to form an office and an audio visual system has been installed.
Any enqurieis should be addressed to the church warden, Mrs Margaret Lewis Tel 01451 831917 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Oddington Parish Council
Clerk: Janet Eustace
Moreton in Marsh
Tel: 01451 830594
Oddington Vilage Hall Bookings:
Anne Miles 01451 830817 or
Margaret Lewis 01451 831917